Friday, December 09, 2005

Update on a Dancer's Recovery from Knee Surgery

It has been 2 months since my knee surgery. On week three I started to dance again, but I over did it and my knee got inflamed. It was nothing major, but a reminder that I am still not in the clear. My therapist suggested that I increase my level of dancing gradually. I follow their advice and I feel that I am on road to a 100% recovery. Was knee surgery worth the trouble? It is still to early to tell. I am able to dance, but my knees are a little soar the morning after. The real test will be when I resume practicing with my lovely dance partner Sonja and give 100% on the dance floor. It is hard to hold back, especially when one of my favorite songs is playing, but I will not expect anything less than full recovery. For now I will keep up with my strengthening exercises and take it easy on the dance floor for a few more weeks.

Side note, there were a few occasions where a Salsera approach me and ask for a dance and I declined. I only declined because I needed to take a one to two song break so that I do not inflame my knee. I love dancing with everyone here in Indy and I would not want to give a false impression that I was not interested in dancing with someone.