Wednesday, November 01, 2006

4 Nights of Intense Dancing!

Two weeks ago, I told myself that I should take it easy for a couple of weeks to give my poor knees a rest. As always, I did the total opposite! This week was fanatic! I survived four (yes four) nights of intense, no holds barred dancing. What can I say, life is about simple obsessions and salsa is one of them.

Thursday Night @ the Jazz Kitchen
I will openly admit that I am not a big fan of the Jazz Kitchen. While the music selection is good, their floor gets way too crowded and serious salsa dancers tend to avoid this venue. But this night we managed to have a very good time. Sonja (my dancer partner) and I arrived at the Jazz Kitchen early. Cynthia was finishing up the free salsa lesson and the DJ started to play the music. When you get to JK early, there is more then enough room for you and your partner to give the spectators a good show. It only took an hour before the dancers began to flow in and crowd the dance floor. The floor was crowded at times, but it did not get overly crowed as it does during the summer months. For the first time, I was involved in salsa foursome! Two other Salseros and myself were dancing with Sonja during the same song. Overall a good night.

Friday Night @ Adobo Grill
This is where you will find me on most Friday nights. Either myself or Ryan teaches the free dance lesson before the start of the night. Salsa dancers love this venue with their hardwood floor and no reggaeton music in the rotation. We managed to pull off another salsa foursome, this time with Drea. I wonder which salsera will be next?

Saturday @ The Cozy
I was taking it easy at the Cozy because I had taught a private lesson an hour beforehand. It was a costume party, but I decided not to dress up. I did wear my 4 pocket Mexican shirt; if I'd had a Mexican hat, I could have pulled it off as a costume. Congratulations to Roberto in his dancing grammas costume for winning the costume contest!

Sunday @ Syndicate (Cincinnati)
Our friends at Midwestern Latino hosted a party at the Syndicate with Puerto Rican Power as the headliner band. Son del Caribe from Cincinnati was also there and gave an outstanding performance. I will not bore you with boring details about the night other then that the live music of both bands were fantastic. Here is a video clip of Diana (KamaSalsa Instructor) and myself doing some social dancing during that night. Not too bad for only dancing together one time before and on carpet.