Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Update Cortisone Injections

Here is an update on the cortisone injections I was planning on getting for my knees. My doctor did not give me the option of getting the cortisone injections, but another treatment option with a product called Supartz.

Here is an some information I found about this product.

Hyalgan or Supartz are lubricating material originally used in the knee. They are used in other joints of the body today as they have shown promise in the knee joint. The primary goal is 5 injections given at weekly intervals for calming of the swelling and pain in the joint and added lubrication of the joint. The Foot and Ankle Institute doctors were and are among the first to use this treatment in the foot and ankle after promising results in the knee were noted. Refernce: Foot & Ankle Institute
My doctor was not able to do the injections during my office visit because they needed to see if my insurance will cover it. I was supposed to get a call back from my doctor last week on weather or not my insurance will cover it. It might be a good thing that I am force to wait because I am now having second thoughts.

I decided to give natural supplements another tried. I went to GNC and spent a small fortune on knee supplements. Even if my insurance covers the treatment, I might hold off on it for a few more weeks. There is no right or wrong answers when it comes to health and well being issues like this. In the end you have to do what you feel is right and hope for a good outcome.

Thanks to everyone who posted to my previous blog in regards to this and also to my friends over at Dance Forums who also provided some helpful advice and guidance.